Sunday, July 24, 2005

Jonathan Thompson, Campus Celebrity? - by Jon

So, I got the following email from one of the editors of the Queen's Journal:

"Salut Jon,
We would indeed appreciate some of your input for the upcoming issue. We're asking campus celebrities such as yourself to answer a few questions and including the surveys in the frosh supplement.


Questions are:
Program/Year?
Where did you live first year?
Best part of first year?
Worst part of first year?
Advice for incoming frosh, in a sentence?
Any regrets that new frosh should avoid?

Sorry for the short notice, but you know how it is in this crazy world of publishing. I'm off to bark orders at reporters,

Ed in Chief
Queen's Journal"


Here's my response:

"Dear editor,

Campus celebrity? That's awesome! I've always said I wanted to be known at Queen's as something other than "unidentified black male suspect". Survey results to follow,

Program/Year? MA History I (Formerly Arts '05)

Where did you live first year? - Not in residence! All the cool kids are FYNIRS (First Year Not in Residence Students).

Best part of first year? - My HIST 121 class, where my instructor would utter such gems as "Well, that's like comparing 'getting high' and 'Thursday afternoon.'"

Worst part of first year? - I was studying for my December PSYC 100 exam, and because I didn't have time to make dinner I ended up eating cold ravioli out of a can, and drinking Sprite. And I remember thinking to myself, "Well, this is it. This is what your life has become. Way to go."

Advice for incoming frosh, in a sentence? - If you take PHED 103 - Introduction to Attack Dog Training, don't wear steak sauce as deodorant.

Any regrets that new frosh should avoid? - It took me until third year to realize that there's a big difference between "good" marks and "good, considering how little effort I put in" marks. Get in the habit of kicking academic butt early, and you'll be laughing when your friends are getting their med and law school rejections. Except, then they won't be your friends anymore, because you're being such a huge jerkhole."

No wonder people find me inspiring.

Also, where the hell is Ian? I haven't heard from that guy in a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home