Sunday, August 10, 2008

This Post is Unrelated to the Toronto Explosions - by Jon

G-d help me, I almost forgot to write a blog post. And if I had forgotten to post this post by the posting deadline of midnight, I would have owed Ian…

Nothing.

We didn’t publicly (or privately) agree on stakes, so I’m guessing that it’s only pride up for grabs. No matter, though, for this is a bet I intend to win.

Point the First:

Ian has only ever taught me one useful thing about life. Here goes:

If your car has a remote keyless entry feature, you can extend the range of the little key-fob-dealy by using your body as an antenna.


(Suffice it to say, gaining this tidbit of knowledge has not nearly compensated for the 10+ years of drudgery that knowing Ian has brought upon me.)

I demonstrated the key-antenna thing to a friend in an IKEA parking lot earlier this weekend, and when she asked how I ever found this out, it prompted the following conversation:

Friend: “How did you ever find this out?”

Jon: “My friend Ian told me.”

Friend: “Yeah, but how did HE find out?”

Jon: “I don’t know… I just assume it’s one of those things that you don’t ever really think about, and then you see it on the internet, give it a try, and realize that it’s great.

*pause*

Jon: … like anal.”

Anyway, your true friends in life are the ones that you can have the preceding conversations with, without local law enforcement getting involved.

Point the Second:

More Canadians Deported from China for Protests

I think my favourite part of this article is where the guy says,

“They ransacked our entire apartment, went through all of our bags, all of our luggage, despite the fact that we never consented to any searches."

I mean, this guy is protesting against China’s human rights abuses in Tibet, and… he seems… surprised? That the State Police can search your apartment without a warrant? Or asking your permission? I mean, I’m not cheering for the bad guys here, but this clearly lies within the “foreseeable range of consequences” category. Was he hoping for hugs and kisses?

Point the Third:

Up until now, I had no idea how to quick-change between tabs in Mozilla Firefox. By accident, I have learned that you can open tabs by pressing "CTRL+1" or "CTRL+2" for the appropriate tab. So if you, like I, am too lazy to Google the basic functions of your everyday programs, I hope I just taught you something.


Over and out.

1 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Blogger Drewjitsu said...

Here's another feature that will blow your mind in firefox:

close a tab that you didn't want to?
CTRL+Shift+T...you'll get it right back!

Good to see you dustin this thing off again.

--Anders.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home